So many books and so little time to read them all. It's daunting to see so many promising books and even more being published every day. Hopefully our book reviews can help you decide what books you want to read next.


Friday, January 3, 2014

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky


I am still trying to figure out what to think about this book.  I finished it a couple days ago and have waited to write a review so I could possibly organize my thoughts about it and decide how I really feel about it.  Well, I still have no clue what to think.

Charlie (on the left in the above picture) is writing letters to someone after the suicide of his friend Mike.  He is trying to cope with this death and get used to high school.  He is incredibly sensitive and it drove me crazy how emotional he was and how he always cried over everything and only thought about doing what others wanted.  We later find out why he is this way and it makes sense so when reading this try to push through the sensitive crying parts.  Charlie becomes friends with a step brother/sister and is deals with high school things such as sex, drugs, drinking, bullies, etc...  It had some hard topics such as rape and abortion, but otherwise you get a feel of maybe another side of high school life that many teens go through.

I can't tell you that I liked the book, nor can I say I did not like it.  It followed a story, but also went off on side notes much like an emotionally sensitive teen boy would do if he wrote letters to someone unable to really get his feelings and thoughts sorted.  I must say that even with the realization of why Charlie acts as he does, I was impressed how Charlie was able to forgive and still love regardless of the tragedy that happened.

It is a quick, easy read and I would love to hear how others feel about this and their thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment